1. Strictly Ballroom (1992): By far my favorite dance film, this is a romantic comedy about the absurd competitors in the Pan-Pacific Grand Prix ballroom tournament. Number after number in this one is incredible.
2. Footloose (1984): Kevin Bacon meets the American Taliban as he moves to a rural community that doesn’t allow dancing... or anything else that might be fun. Awesome soundtrack.
3. Shall We Dance (1997): This is the story of a Japanese salaryman who takes ballroom dancing lessons so he can learn the identity of a woman who has caught his imagination. This is one of those interesting films where you get to see cultural differences in action.
4. Grease (1978): Yes, it’s a musical, but it’s also all about the dances, and the dances here are a lot of fun. This is also a surprisingly dirty film for having such a wholesome reputation.
5. Dirty Dancing (1987): Daddy’s girl falls in love with the bad boy dance instructor at the summer dance camp. This is one of those opposites-attract type films and it works beautifully. There is incredible chemistry between Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze.
6. Singing In The Rain (1952): Gene Kelly leads this story of a group of actors who are caught in the transition from silent films to “talkies.” The dancing in this film is some of the most famous Hollywood has ever produced, in particular the titular song “Singing In The Rain.”